Market Power

Musings by an academic economist on the power of markets and the power over markets.

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Big Brother

My father, Dr. James Merle Miller, died 29 years ago at age 44. I was 10 years old. When I was 13, my mother enrolled me in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program at the local Y. I hooked up with a local pastor named Terry Graham. We played racquetball and I spent a lot of time at his church, banging around on the musical equipment. He was a very good friend to me.

We kept in touch at times over the years, basically through Christmas letters. My mother frequently saw him at performances at the Sioux City Symphony, but I hadn't seen him in over 15 - 20 years.

Terry Graham was murdered yesterday in Clive, Iowa, allegedly by a man he had met a few hours earlier online.

|